Thursday, January 17, 2013

Being Technical In A Church Service



Hello All,

I had the opportunity to have a great conversation with a worship leader at a church a few days ago that got me really thinking about technology in a worship service.

As a tech guy, I love to get my hands on all sorts of technical gear and produce a great light show... or have the bass thump so low that you can feel it in your chest.  These are my talents, and like anything in church, I should use my talents the best way that I can for the Lord.

I used to attend a church where these technical achievements were possible, then I ended up at a little church on the campus of the UofI.  This church is so behind the times of technology that it is almost non existent.  All the tech guys/girls are probably running through all the negatives of this kind of atmosphere... and of course there are tons of negatives, but there is a major major positive.

This church is so stress free... all the time.  I have yet to have a Sunday where technically speaking I was upset... I get upset a little with myself if I don't play well on a Sunday morning but that is another story.  But we don't have to problem solve all the time because there are very few parts of the chain to go wrong.  You get to sit back and just enjoy the service

On the other side, not having the technology has limited us on the sound we can get (no compressors, limited eq, no reverb..etc), doing effective dramas, or most other cool things you can think to do with technology.

On the other side, if you have the technology you should use it to its fullest potential in my opinion.  You cant let it become the main part of the service, but use it to add a little salt and pepper to your service.  Just as the chair people set up chairs well, or the musicians play well, or the pastor preaches well, so you should do your job as a tech well.

Moral of the story... Being with technology is not all in all that much of a bad thing, but if you have it, you definitely should not be afraid to use it in a way that is tasteful and excellent.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment